History of the Great Flint Creek Dam
The following is taken from the Philipsburg Mail newspaper on Oct. 11, 1901.
A little over a week ago the announcement was made of the successful completion of the great Flint Creek dam, built by the Montana Water, Electric Power and Mining Company on Georgetown Flats. During the last year the power house was completed and the powerful electrical machinery installed and on August 9, 1900 the use of steam at the bimetallic mill was discontinued and electricity generated by the waters of Flint creek, seven miles distant, was substituted.
While this practically completed the electric power plant, yet a great deal remained be done to insure a permanent and steady supply of water at all seasons of the year, and it was with this object in view that the massive dam, which converts a large portion of Georgetown Flats into a great storage reservoir, was planned and constructed. The site chosen was where a small dam had been built at the inception of this gigantic project. At this point bed-rock comes nearly to the surface and an ideal foundation was thus provided by nature. The old dam was removed and for nearly ten months a force of men, at times numbering considerably more than a hundred, has been constantly at work on the massive structure.
The dam is 30 feet thick at its base by75 feet long and tapering inward towards the top where the thickness of the wall is 7 feet. It is 35 feet high and at the top 260 feet long and is securely anchored to bed-rock on both sides of the gulch, as well as at its base. Neither water nor time will have any destructive effect upon this piece of architecture and it will stand a monument to its builders ages hence.
36, ooo cubic yards of Granite blocks, 2,000 barrels of cement (20 carloads) and five times that quantity (10,000 barrels) of sand entered into its construction. The granite and sand was all hauled from near Georgetown, a distance of about four miles. On the upper, or water side, the dam has been strengthened by a clay fill of nearly 40,000 cubic yards.
The dam was raised another five feet in 1919 and has seen numerous facelifts over the years.
Sign In to Edit this Site